American Academy of Arts and Sciences Elects New Members
Posted on 4/21/18 in News
Since 1780 the American Academy of Arts and Sciences has been honoring “exceptional scholars, leaders, artists, and innovators and engages them in sharing knowledge and addressing challenges facing the world” (AAA&S Website). The 2018 Class is made up of 213 diverse and upstanding members. New members range from a NASA climatologist to a Supreme Court Justice and include names such as Barak Obama, Tom Hanks, and the following IPAM affiliates:
- Guillermo Sapiro (Duke) has been a speaker and organizer for numerous IPAM programs.
- James Demmel (UC Berkeley) will be a speaker in upcoming workshops during IPAM’s long program, Where Big Data Meets Large-Scale Computing.
- Leonidas Guibas (Stanford) has been a speaker in several IPAM workshops.
- Arkadi Nemirovski (Georgia Tech) has been a speaker and organizer for workshops during IPAM’s 2010 long program, Modern Trends in Optimization and Its Application.
- Alexei Borodin (MIT) is a current IPAM Science Advisory Board Member.
The 2018 Class induction ceremony will be held in October 2018 at Cambridge, Massachusetts. Class of 2018 list.